Some of the sportsbooks featured on this page are our partners. We may receive compensation if you sign up for one through our links, but this doesn't affect our ratings or opinions in any way. You can learn more by visiting our advertiser disclosure page.
BetMGM is licensed and legal in the United States. It’s an MGM Resorts-branded online product created as a joint venture with Entain Holdings in 2018. The joint venture resulted in the creation of a new company called Roar Digital LLC, that’s in charge of the brand and its operation.
Since 2019 and the complete rebrand and relaunch of BetMGM, it has become widely available in all U.S. states with legal sports betting. Nevada was the first state where its mobile betting app was released, followed by New Jersey, Tennessee, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and many other states.
In addition to being licensed and regulated by all local gambling regulators in all states where it’s available, BetMGM is a leader in ethics and social responsibility. Its responsible gaming initiative GameSense has recorded over one million interactions in all MGM properties and sites, responding to all player queries.
If you’re interested in signing up, you can rest assured that BetMGM is legitimate and safe to use.
Why BetMGM is Legit
There are many reasons why BetMGM falls under the category of legitimate and is a safe sports betting site. Let’s take a look:
- Licensed & regulated. BetMGM is licensed by all state gambling commissions where it’s available, such as the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, New York State Gaming Commission, Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, and many others. You can see all BetMGM states here.
- Secure app and website. BetMGM uses the latest TLS1.2 encryption Secure Sockets Layer encryption and end-to-end encryption technology from VeriSign® to protect all personal and payment data. Your transactions are processed through Shift4 Payments, an online payment processor that uses Payment Card Industry or PCI-validated point-to-point encryption. This stops the cardholder’s data from entering the system, and the advanced tokenization replaces stored card data with random numbers, useless to cyber criminals.
- Guaranteed payouts. Unlike offshore betting sites, which have been known to withhold payouts under false pretenses, BetMGM is sure to pay out all fair winnings to the last cent.
- Competitive odds. BetMGM has standard -110 odds on most spreads and totals are pretty competitive, as are its moneyline odds.
- Responsible gambling policies and tools. BetMGM takes responsible gambling seriously. In addition to its official guide to safe gambling, Game Sense, it has launched several notable responsible gambling tools. These include personal limits, self-exclusion, time-outs, and many others that help players rein in their gambling habits.
More on BetMGM’s Background
A pivotal moment for the creation of BetMGM was the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) in 2018. In July of that same year, MGM Resorts announced a 50/50 partnership deal with Entain PLC, known at that time as GVC Holdings.
Under the partnership agreement, the joint venture was dubbed Roar Digital LLC, and the full expansion into the world of online sports betting and casino gaming began in 2019.
Adam Greenblatt was put in charge of the company in 2018, a position he has occupied ever since. Greenblatt saw the company sign official partnerships with major league sports competitions, such as the deal with the NBA in 2018, which made MGM the first official betting partner of the league.
BetMGM NJ was the first app to launch in 2019 when it replaced the old IGT-powered playMGM sportsbook, which had also been available in Nevada from 2017 until 2020 when it was replaced with the brand new BetMGM sports betting app.
Since its inception, BetMGM has spread to over 20 states, with the most recent ones being Illinois and New York in March and January 2022, respectively.
States Where BetMGM Operates
BetMGM State Availability & Rankings
- Arizona (#1 of 9 AZ Sportsbooks)
- Colorado (#1 of 12 CO Sportsbooks) (See the BetMGM CO bonus code)
- Illinois (#1 of 7 IL Sportsbooks) (See the BetMGM IL bonus code)
- Indiana (#1 of 10 IN Sportsbooks)
- Iowa (#1 of 10 IA Sportsbooks) (See the BetMGM IA bonus code)
- Louisiana (#1 of 7 LA Sportsbooks) (See the BetMGM LA bonus code)
- Michigan (#1 of 10 MI Sportsbooks) (See the BetMGM MI bonus code)
- Nevada (#1 of 3 NV Sportsbooks)
- New Jersey (#1 of 16 NJ Sportsbooks) (See the BetMGM NJ bonus code)
- New York (#1 of 7 NY Sportsbooks) (See the BetMGM NY bonus code)
- Pennsylvania (#1 of 12 PA Sportsbooks)
- Tennessee (#1 of 6 TN Sportsbooks) (see the BetMGM TN bonus code)
- West Virginia (#1 of 7 WV Sportsbooks)
- Wyoming (#1 of 3 WY Sportsbooks) (see the BetMGM WY bonus code)
- Virginia (#1 of 11 VA Sportsbooks)
Complaints About BetMGM
You are bound to face rough patches when you have been in the gambling business as long as MGM. The company’s BetMGM product was not immune to those either.
Namely, in 2021, BetMGM faced a lawsuit from a woman named Jacqueline Davis, who claimed the company wouldn’t pay her $3 million she had won on St. Patrick's Day “Luck O' the Roulette” online game. She did receive an advance of $10,000 in cash at the MGM casino in Detroit, but the rest of her winnings were withheld due to a glitch in the game. BetMGM ended up paying her $100,000 even though the technical issues were why she won in the first place.
Recently, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) hit BetMGM with a $48,000 penalty due to three tweets that failed to comply with the marketing rules related to gambling in the province. However, since Ontario’s iGaming market is freshly regulated, it seems that it will take some time for the providers to get used to its peculiar rules.
Even though a couple of fines were issued to BetMGM and players have made certain claims about alleged payout withholdings, BetMGM boasts an excellent track record and is counted among the most reputable bookmakers in the business.
Final Thoughts: BetMGM is Legit & Safe to Use
The BetMGM brand is available in over 20 states across the U.S., and it's the third-largest online gambling site in the country, behind FanDuel and DraftKings. It raised its revenue forecast for 2022 from $1 billion to $1.3 billion thanks to millions of bettors placing bets daily at BetMGM.
BetMGM is a legitimate operator with licenses from all state gaming commissions in states where it’s available. BetMGM has a valuable sign-up bonus and competitive odds.
If you decide to bet with BetMGM, you can rest assured that it’s safe and legitimate.
Here are some other BetMGM resources you may be interested in: