Companies featured on this page may be our partners that compensate us if you sign up for one through our links. This doesn't affect our ratings or opinions in any way. Learn more here. Must be 21+. Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER.
YRFI stands for Yes Run First Inning. YRFI is a popular baseball bet where you predict that at least one run will be scored in the first inning of a game.
If you bet “Yes” on an NRFI bet and there is not a run scored in the first inning, you win. If there is a run scored in the first inning, you lose your bet.
The opposing bet is called NRFI, or No Runs First Inning, where you're betting on a run not to be scored in the first inning.
YRFI and NRFI bets have been gaining popularity among baseball bettors due to their fast-paced nature as they settle quickly, offering immediate gratification for bettors without having to watch a whole game.
Strategies for Betting YRFI
Here are some strategies to consider when placing YRFI bets:
Look for Poor Pitchers
Just as with NRFI bets, starting pitchers are a crucial consideration for YRFI betting. However, where NRFI betting seeks pitchers with a low WHIP, high strikeout rate, and low home run rate, YRFI betting might look for the opposite.
- High WHIP: YRFI bettors may want to target pitchers with a high WHIP (Walks + Hits per Innings Pitched), which means they tend to let more batters get on base. This increases the chance of runs being scored.
- Low Strikeout Rate: Pitchers with a low strikeout rate might be favorable in YRFI bets because they're more likely to allow contact, increasing the chance for hits and runs.
- High Home Run Allowed Rate: A high home run rate might also be desirable for YRFI bets. The more often a pitcher gives up home runs, the more likely it is that at least one run will be scored in the first inning.
Find Explosive Lineups
When it comes to lineups, YRFI bets are more likely to hit when there are lineups that are hot and have a high scoring rate, especially in the first inning.
- High First Inning Scoring: Look for teams that are scoring a high number of first-inning runs per game.
- Recent Performance: Consider teams that are performing well offensively over the last few days.
- Injuries: Just like NRFI betting, injuries are important in YRFI betting. However, instead of providing an edge, a key injury at the top of a lineup might make a YRFI bet less appealing.
While the above gives a solid overview of what to look for when betting YRFI, more specific strategies will depend on a variety of factors including current player performance, team dynamics, and more.
Where to Place YRFI Bets
Note that most major sportsbooks offer YRFI bets now. You can see our picks for the best MLB betting sites here.
Some of our favorite sportsbooks for placing YRFI bets include:
If you don't understand how the odds on YRFI bets work, check out our guide to reading betting odds.
*Special offers from our partners. May vary by state. Must be 21+. Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
Bet $5, Get $200 in Bonus Bets
States: AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MA MD, MI, NJ, OH, NY, PA, TN, WV, WY, VA.
$1,000 First Bet on Caesars
States: AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, KS, MD, MA, MI, NJ, NY, NV, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY
Up to $1,500 Back in Bonus Bets
States: AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY
10x $100 Second Chance Bets
States: CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV